Home remedies to protect your natural beauty and gorgeousness
Your arms, legs, feet, knees and neck are under direct attack of winter dryness. We have a test to find out if you're in need of special care but don't know it. Lightly run the nail of your forefinger over these parts. Do you see a white line? It means your body is affected and crying for help. “If your skin is on the dry side, it will worsen in winter since the air tends to rob the body of its moisture,” says skincare expert Shahnaz Husain. She has some tips for you so you can bliss out in this weather without worry.
1) Eat warming foods and soups. Top winter foods include vegetables like brinjal, carrots, potatoes, beans and turnip; fruits like papaya and pineapple.
2) Carry a thick stole or a pullover along at all times. Even if the weather is bearable when you step out, you never know when it will turn chilly.
3) Before stepping into the bath, self-massage your whole body with warm til oil or olive oil. Rub half a lemon on your knees and elbows if they are darker than your arms and legs.
Beauty shower 101
1) Avoid hot showers. Steaming water dries the skin further. Take a bath with room temperature or lukewarm water. It will warm your body much more.
2) Ditch the regular soap for a shower gel or glycerine soap.
3) To combat itchiness, add 1/2 cup apple cider or white vinegar along with a tbsp of honey to warm water. Use this water as an after-bath rinse. It relieves fatigue and softens skin.
4) Dab rich body lotion all over as soon as you step out of the shower. This is the moment your skin is at its most absorbent. Rub more lotion into your hands, knees, elbows and toes.
5) If you have dry skin, buy a hand and body lotion specially formulated apart from the body lotion.
6) Give your body a rubdown with a dry loofah or towel after using body oil for better blood circulation. Your skin will be smoother.
7) Pure essential oils can be used to make your own massage oil. Use almond oil as the base. Add a few drops of lavender and rose oil to it. This blend works better than any readymade massage oil.
Desi pre-bath cleanser:
Mix besan with some curd and haldi. Rub the mixture all over your body and let it dry for 15-20 minutes.
1) Massage your heels with foot cream every day to prevent cracked heels.
2) Protect your feet from the dryness of soap with a turmeric and fresh cream mix. lemon-turmeric cream on the feet and heels, massaging it into the skin. This not only softens the skin, but also protects it from the drying effects of soap and chlorinated
3) Before going to sleep every night, add sea salt and shampoo to a jumbo bowl of warm water and soak your feet in it. Once a week, follow this with a gentle pumice stone rub.
4) Wear socks to bed every night.
You will have hands and feet worth kissing with these winter rituals!